Controls for Logitech 3D pro?

Hello,

Been playing a bit in Sim Battles but have problems with the controls.

Got a Logitech 3D PRO joystick, I did a custom setup and tried it in Test mode, but I have a really hard time aiming the aircraft.

Mainly flying the Wyvern S4, I dont stall anymore or lose control but I have super hard time aiming.

When I try to shoot down a plane or attack ground targets the nose of the aircraft wobbles like crazy, no matter how much I try to compensate it keeps pulling way too much.

Anyone can help with the controls? Or do I do something wrong?

I've seen people fly their planes better than in RB, causing mayhem on the ground or in air with ease.

3D Pro.blk

medal medal

Here is what I used to uselogitech3dpro.thumb.jpg.e5b708728edca3cc

8 minutes ago, Xenadrine said:

When I try to shoot down a plane or attack ground targets the nose of the aircraft wobbles like crazy, no matter how much I try to compensate it keeps pulling way too much.

Ahh

Did you try lowering the sensitivity in the axes?

WTcontrol.blk

Try this, its the one I used to use many years ago with the 3d pro & used to do quite well

medal medal medal medal

On November 11, 2018 at 17:24, Xenadrine said:

no matter how much I try to compensate it keeps pulling way too much

Here are videos GE EN from expert pilot Der_Sheriff.  Some people may try to convince you to stay will 100% but they don't understand some of us really can't hold our limbs very steady regardless of how much practice. Good luck!

Edited by r00k_

3 hours ago, r00k_ said:

Some people may try to convince you to stay will 100% but they don't understand some of us really can't hold our limbs very steady regardless of how much practice.

r00k is right, a 1:1 stick ratio or "100%" isn't for everyone, 1:1 works best with a 20-30cm extension

you will have to experiment to find what is best for you.

medal medal medal medal

"Wobble" often results from rapid contrasting movements on the stick - the fact you mention that you are "compensating" means that you're probably making unconscious movements or putting pressure on the stick. The ideal way to aim is a consistent and smooth pull-up onto the flight path of the target, only changing the amount of relative pressure. If you are pushing the nose around and making constant corrections, the aircraft will eventually get unstable no matter what your joystick setup is like, although some aircraft are more forgiving than others. You can also apply smooth and consistent rudder input to one side to shift your flight path towards one side. If you haven't already, I would recommend turning the "sensitivity" setting of all your axes up - WT implements sensitivity as a micro-delay on your inputs, which will make the wobble problem even worse, as now all your corrections will have a small delay to them.

This takes a little practice and muscle memory to do - when I first started, I found I actually moved the stick around quite a bit unconsciously while caught up in a fight, or during maneuvers I'd apply pressure in a direction I wasn't intending, which forced me to compensate and then led to the wobbliness while aiming. Don't think about aiming "just" the guns as you would on a tank or in your hand - aim the entire aircraft.

A good way to practice is to fly against bots. Use the menu in the top-left and select "Custom Battles" and then "Create Session" from the menu that pops up. This lets you configure a match with AI opponents - I recommend the Airfield Domination: Takeoff - Stalingrad map, as bots will spawn and fly in straight lines towards the opposing airfield. You can practice lining up on AI-controlled aircraft, who fly more predictably, and I find this setup more useful than Test Flight for calibrating joystick and spotting settings.

Edited by LQuinze
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I am under the impression that the joystick wobble is far less than a realistic implementation of flight physics, but more a problem introduced by developers, that only they can fix in the end.

I have to go out momentarily, so I must be brief.

Some aircraft fly wonderfully with your optimized joystick settings. Others wobble no matter what adjustments we make.

Since support and forum moderators love to remind us that most people use Mouse + Keyboard, joystick issues are not a priority for troubleshooting by devs.

The same aircraft that cause us issues with a joystick do NOT wobble when controlled via mouse aim.

In the end, we that want to enjoy playing with a joystick lose.

*Not a joystick expert. I keep falling back to M+K. Have tried multiple sticks, same difficulties.

• 3 weeks later...

For lovers of Logitec 3D Pro:

If you are not averse to using a soldering iron and don't have issues with a screwdriver and are not nauseated by the sweet smell of WD40

Rejoice:  I have Great news for you

My relation with my joystick is much like an obsessive Necromantic Frankenstein, with many open surgeries and replacement of scavenged parts from old sticks. However I have been dogged by the widely quoted fault  . . ." Failing Potentiometers" . . .for which there is no cure. Having given up multiple sticks to this curse, I happened to ended up with multiple "do hickies" . . the black thingys

dohicky.jpg.9ae54d1e6b4810d83cc39f421c17

As terrifying as it seems, you can safely use a pair nose pliers to simply pull it out, and the white plug with 3 wires simply pulls out exposing 3 pins. The same arrangement is for throttle and pitch and ailerons and rudders. :)

Amazingly the black thing snaps open exposing a rotating cylinder with a metal ring that touches obviously makes a circuit with the other part to produce a varying input/resistance,  rehostat / potentiometer. You don't have to, but if you feel like you can WD40 the bad spirits out of it and then carefully epoxy it back together or just make sure you get plenty of WD40 into the rotating part.(Side note:  If some how like me . .all those Gz, break the screws in the white base . .fear not . .epoxy glue from any auto store will glue that thing right back to the base and the top cover holds it in place.:lol2:)

However, even after this, I found that input would remain jittery and flappy and the input would diminish with age. As luck would have it, I had multiple rehostats and as I flipped them about to see which ones would work . . . to my surprise . . .I found they all worked in some places and were crap in other places. . pointing to a bad circuit/wireing.:dntknw:

logitech_joystick_8.thumb.jpg.6941fcd629

If you look at the pitch and roll rehostats, you will see one plugs into the other and finally into the circuit board. In the rehostat closest to the circuit board, you will notice the top and bottom pin have two wires each, one from the previous one, and one from the current one, two reds and two blacks. What goes into the circuit board is finally a black and a red and the two center wires from both. Just an explanation

Here is whats important :

The wires that turn the bend are the ones that fail, perhaps they are too tight or just crap, but with use, probably rubbing against the white base, the double wires fail and the connections become loose causing crappy input. I simply got another 3 pin white holder/plug . . .soldered the two incoming wires to the wire from top and bottom pin in their respective places and made sure to lengthen the wires so they did not rub against the corners and minimized wear and tear.

Result:

The outcome was, all the rehostats worked perfectly, even the throttle one from the old logitec attack 3 and the control input was amazingly just as good as the first day I plugged the brand new 3D pro in. No more jitter and flapping about, just firm and stable and precise.

Conclusion:

To my sheer overwhelming Joy

alive.jpg.ffae63be7c827bd84435d8203ff475

Logitec :

if you did this on purpose to make this stick fail early "You suck:

If you did this because you were skimping on 1 inch of wire  "You suck"

Edited by Twisted
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

• 6 months later...

giphy.gif

After many many many resurrections  . . . .My Logitech 3d Pro finally gave up the ghost 

A good joystick is like good loyal friend, I will miss you and deeply feel your loss

vULAjp.jpg

Good thing about the time we live in everything is disposable and replaceable  . . . .even friends :p:

New one on the way and should reach with in 24 hours . . .hopefully :ready:

War Thunder .  . . .besides being the game I have played the most and longest since 1984 . . . your Joystick count now stands at +4

:zlo: 

medal medal medal medal

On 10/07/2019 at 09:05, Twisted said:

After many many many resurrections  . . . .My Logitech 3d Pro finally gave up the ghost 

A good joystick is like good loyal friend, I will miss you and deeply feel your loss

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal

We who are about to die

Salute you!!!

Deadbodies.jpg.7a2d14ccbfd3a05a2fca3e08a

There is one dead body missing . . .:lol2:

And we are back in the game

medal medal medal medal